Dismiss Notice
Want to Shorten Your Long URL? Check out our sister website Tiniurl to solve your needs!

Computer Safety [Read This]

Discussion in 'Combat Arms' started by GoldenEagles, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

Hello, I'm KoolKid, former moderator of the website GamerzHavoc, former administrator at HackPulse, and an active member (and former moderator) on GamerzPlanet.
    I made this post a few years back because a lot of "fake hacks" were being posted. I remember that the reason I made this post was that someone posted a *.bat file that shutdowns the computer. Well, here I am, over 2 years later and also over 2 years wiser, re-editing this post. Hopefully, this can save a lot of your computers, accounts, and anything else you have on your computer :music:The first "Computer Safety" thread was posted in the WolfTeam forum because that's where the program was.
    Over 9000 post views for this thread, not bad. Enjoy and stay safe!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Warning Signs of a Fake (and possibly infected) Hack:

The Join Date:

The join date should be the very first red flag. If the user joined within the day of the post or within the week or so, you should be VERY careful. I'm not saying that ALL new members are evil malicious virus posters and you shouldn't download their files, I'm just saying that you should watch out. Read other people's comments and scan the file(s) before running/extracting anything. Yes, I understand that this is basic knowledge but regardless, some people just think about the hacks and disregard the risks of running the program. Ultimately, this one slip-up could result in a keylogger, RAT, and may require a disk reformat and may also lead to a loss of a lot of money.

Their Post Count:
    Most of the time, the post count is related to their risk factor. 1 post is very suspicious because that basically means that they have never posted anything before including other hacks, tutorials, or useful things that would show that the person has experience as a programmer/trustworthy person (although I think you need 10 posts to post a download). Same note as above, not all low posters are evil nubs.

*.bat and *.cmd files:
    For these ones, you have to worry more about pranks than receiving a virus but when there is a will, there's a way (picture of a *.bat virus generator). As you can see in that picture, it can even delete your operating system! So basically, before you run the *.bat file, right click, edit (with notepad or wordpad), and then see what the text file says. If you see a bunch of "del" (short for delete) followed by things like system or windows or anything you don't want deleted, then delete the file and report the person. Also, if you see the shutdown command, I don't suggest running the file.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Virus FAQ: Welcome to Viruses - Frequently Asked Questions

Question One: Can you scan a file without downloading it?
    Answer: http://vscan.novirusthanks.org

Question Two: When you download a RAR or ZIP file, can you get a virus?
    Answer: When you download it, you will not get the virus unless you open/run the program.

Question Three: How do I know if there is a virus in it or not?
    Answer: What I would do is I would save it to the desktop and scan it with one of the virus scan websites below

Question Four: Which viruses are so called "Safe"?
    Answer: Basically, what this question is asking is, which programs do you not have to worry about being a virus. Upload an injector into a virus scan website and see which detections come up. These are called "false positives". You do not have to worry much about these ones because they can do you no harm but this method is not always fool-proof so also follow your instincts.

Free Virus Scan Websites: Note: These are file scanners, not anti-virus programs.

VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan (Recommended)
    Multi-Engine Antivirus Scanner - Services - NoVirusThanks.org (Also Recommended)
    Online Virus Scan (Not particularly recommended)
    Online malware scan

NOTE: WHEN A WINRAR/WINZIP FILE IS PASSWORD PROTECTED, THESE VIRUS SCANNERS CANNOT DETECT ANYTHING BECAUSE IT CANNOT ACCESS THE FILES! REMEMBER THIS BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!
    Even when the Virus Scan doesn't pick much up, it could still have a virus by using a FUD crypter (read dictionary below).

What is a False Positive?

A false positive occurs when a virus scanner erroneously detects a 'virus' in a non-infected file. False positives result when the signature used to detect a particular virus is not unique to the virus - i.e. the same signature appears in legitimate, non-infected software. These detections often occur in packers and injectors.

List of Absolutely 99.99% of the Time Viruses
    Ardamax (Associated with Ardamax Commercial Keylogger)
    Trojan.Dropper (TR/Dropper.Gen) - This is a type of virus, but this type is most of the time malicious
    Perfect Keylogger (Associated with Perfect Commercial Keylogger)
    Sality
    CyberGate (Associated with the CyberGate Remote Administration Tool)
    Dybalom (Usually associated with iStealer)
    Neshta
    Turkojan (Turkojan RAT)
    Bifrost
    Ramnit/Quolko
    ZBot

List of Known False Positives
    Hupigon
    Eldorado
    WS.Reputation.1
    Artemis
    Themida
    ASPack
    OnlineGame(s)

Malicious Programs - Dictionary:

RAT:
    A RAT is a Remote Administration Tool. This program allows the controller to take control of the victim's computer and make it do whatever the controller wants. More Information - Wikipedia

Keylogger: A keylogger is a program that records the victim's keystrokes and sends the information to an email or website via FTP. This is the most common type of personal grade viruses due to its accessibility. More Information - Wikipedia

Malware: Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code. More Information - Wikipedia

Adware: Adware, or advertising-supported software, is any software package which automatically plays, displays, or downloads advertisements to a computer after the software is installed on it or while the application is being used. Spyware is included under the umbrella of adware and malware.
    More Information - Wikipedia

FUD Crypter: Fully Undetected (FUD) crypter basically takes a detected virus and turns it into a undetected virus that either few or no anti-virus programs can pick it up. Sorry to tell you this but any file can have a virus and you can never be safe. (But apparently SandBoxie is a good place to start)

Stealer: A stealer does what it sounds like it does. It steals your account information saved on your computer. Cookies. If you pressed "save password for Gamerzplanet", then a stealer will take that information and send it to the person who created the virus.

Credits:
    I, GoldenEagles, made this guide and if I either saved your computer or you believe that this guide was well-written, then please give me +rep by pressing the [​IMG] button, pressing I approve, and leaving me a comment. I worked hard on this guide so please help me out and help me get more than 18 rep power and 966 rep points.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
    12 people like this.
  2. kiko1

kiko1

This is good koolkid post this up on gzg
    if u already havent

1 person likes this.
  3. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

I will, so far, I have an abridged version there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. sashas

sashas

this should be sticky

5. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

Yep, I'm just waiting for a mod/admin to do that.

[To whom this may concern] Please do not close this thread like you did on the WolfTeam section because you stickied it and closed it. I want this one to be open so members can ask questions.
    -Thanks, KoolKid

6. alexOFDEATH

alexOFDEATH

I find this topic useless and uninformative.

7. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

Tell me, how so?

8. kiko1

kiko1

Ignore him koolkid when his computer gets
    f**ed up cause he didnt find point in this thread
    he will regret it

9. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

lol, hes flaming me because I'm trying to help others

10. alexOFDEATH

alexOFDEATH

the only non-useless things you said but are still completely common sense-

1. if the user has one post, you probably shouldn't trust it. he obviously made the account solely for posting one thing - a virus - and doesn't want his real account to be named

2. scan it, but just because some bad things show up it doesn't mean it's a virus. (which is kind of pointless either way, since MOST users that browse 'hacking sites' like this are going to scan it with some stupid program, see one false positive come up and say "WTF IS VIRUS FK U DO NOT DOWNLOAD")

all in all, you told people to use common sense, except in pretty colors and a lot more lines. the last half of your post is completely useless, and will not help anyone. in that little quote from opening a 'virus' in notepad - 99% of programs are going to look somewhat like that.

also, all you really did was tell people to open a file in notepad and "If it looks suspicious, delete it"

... that isn't going to help anyone. you /can't/ help them - it's not your fault. sure, you tried, but this topic isn't going to make a difference. the people you are attempting to help have no intention of wanting to learn anything, they will open any file they can that says "leet hax, plz open me!" in hopes of finding a neat cheat for a stupid game.

11. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

1. They track IPs

2. No, VirusChief comes up with minimal detections and plus, I don't tell people that it's a virus, I just tell them to DL at their own risk.

+I don't see you helping out people...

12. LobBob

LobBob Retired Staff Member

Pretty cool to me.

Stickied for awhile.

13. kiko1

kiko1

alex i dont see u makeing any of these types of things.. there are many nubs
    one
    this forum that could use help, and this helps them a lot. Just cause u say "you know everything" doesn't
    mean everyone else does; don't always think but ur self u selfish idiot

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  14. nuube13

nuube13

only 'noobs' who are 10 year olds dont kno the 'common sense'

why do u even make threads like this? u want it to be stickied? pfft, bitch please forum low life

15. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

Well, if is here that needs help and not here to flame me, ask away.

16. alexOFDEATH

alexOFDEATH

Why do I have to make a useless topic to criticize a useless topic?

I don't know everything.

I'm not a selfish idiot. I'm one of the few people that promote FREE EXCHANGE OF INFORMATION here. If someone knows how to do something interesting, they should share it. Instead, if you refer to the Godmode debate topic, half of the people do not want it released to the public - they would rather have a small base of users keeping it to themselves. For being a hacking community, that's pretty outrageos. The whole point of hacking is to discover and share new and interesting things.

If I know an answer to a legitimate and intelligent question, I shall answer it. Perhaps you should be calling the TGS team 'selfish idiots' because they are selling privatized versions of their hacks to make a profit. (Although I know some of the team and disagree with my own statement there)

(as i said before) The only semi-useful thing this topic tells people is to scan a file before you run it.. but then it also states that just because something comes up, it doesn't mean it's a virus. Are you trying to confuse people?

How to make this topic not suck AS MUCH:

Explain why false positives exist
    Have a section dedicated to virus detection and removal
    Remove the pretty colors and make it look a little more professional

..I don't know why I'm even trying to point out some important things- The people who 'need' this topic are the 'selfish idiots' that come to leech a stupid game hack just so they don't suck so much while not caring about how the hacks in question actually work. They just download and use-- that's it. They deserve a virus.

17. Hippy5050

Hippy5050

main point i would say:mullet:

though a few posts on here needed what Koolkid posted....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  18. GoldenEagles

GoldenEagles

I have taken your advice and removed all the color and added the question "What is a false positive?"

19. headofaxes

headofaxes

Lol. Thanks for the guide but most of it is pretty much common sense to me.. I'm a low poster because I mainly just read other peoples posts and download the pubs. :preggers:

20. shizukamasuda

shizukamasuda